There are three main public locations in Swanage where you can recharge your electric vehicle, with some further charging stations nearby.
Some are provided free by businesses that have them on their premises; others you’ll need to pay for.
Locations within Swanage
Note that you must purchase a parking ticket whilst your car is being charged at the Open Charge POD points at Main Beach and Mermond Place car parks. Both of these have a type 2 universal socket and the cost is 18p per kWh.
- Main Beach car park – Four charging stations (four-hour maximum stay)
- Recreation Ground (Mermond Place) – Two charging stations (two-hour max stay)
- Swanage Coastal Park – Whilst located within Swanage Coastal Park, members of the public may use the two charge points here 25p/kWh
Further EV chargers in Purbeck
The following charging stations are either on the Isle of Purbeck or just outside its boundary:
Public charging points
- St Michael’s Garage – Just outside Swanage, on the road to Harman’s Cross, you’ll find two BP Pulse points at this petrol station along the A351. Postcode: BH19 3DX
- Purbeck MG An EV charger is located behind the petrol station here at Stoborough, which is situated between Corfe Castle and Wareham. Postcode: BH20 5AA
- Wool & Bovington Motors – Just beyond the Purbeck boundary there’s a single EV charger at this garage in Wool. Postcode: BH20 6EH
- The Bakers Arms – There’s a public BP Pulse in the car park of the pub here at the Bakers Arms roundabout. Stop for a drink or bite to eat at The Bakers Arms itself while you wait for your car to charge before heading on through Sandford and on to Swanage. Postcode: BH16 6JF
Hotel/pub-based charge points
- The Pig on the Beach, Studland – There are two charging points (one Tesla and one universal) in the car park of The Pig, which are available free-of-charge to guests and residents of the hotel. Postcode: BH19 3AU
- Limestone Hotel, West Lulworth – This is currently the only charge-point in West Lulworth. Priority is given to hotel guests and prior bookings, but members of the public may use the pod point at the hotel’s discretion. The cost is 30p/kWh. Postcode: BH20 5RL
- HPB Langton House – For the use of Holiday Property Bond members only
You’ll find plenty more EV chargers in larger car parks and shopping areas in and around Poole, Dorchester and Bournemouth, as well as just across the water at Sandbanks.
For all Dorset electric charging stations check the Zap-Map website or app, which will also show handy recharging points en route to the area: www.zap-map.com/
Nearest motorway services recharging
Note that there are no motorway services in Dorset, but if you’re travelling here from other counties, you’ll find high-power, rapid-chargers for en-route charging at motorway services, including:
- Hampshire – Rownhams on the M27 (between junctions 3&4) Postcode: SO16 8AP
- Devon – Tiverton Services (Junction 27 on the M5) Postcode: EX16 7HD
- Somerset – Bridgwater Services (J24, M5) Postcode: TA6 6TS
- Wiltshire – Leigh Delamere Services M4 (between junctions 17 & 18) Postcode: SN14 6LB