The most famous and popular of Studland Bay’s beaches has a large car park for exploring everything Knoll Beach has to offer.
Knoll Beach car park is open seven days week, all year round, allowing you to return again and again to discover the different aspects of this special area of Studland. There’s a wide stretch of sandy beach and dunes, woodland walks and handy facilities such as loos, a shop and café.
There are two main areas of Knoll Beach car park – if you’re looking to stay for a day out at this gloriously long and sandy beach, head to the right as you come in, or if you’re after a ramble through the woodland or sand dunes, or attending an event at the discovery centre, head to the left.
The National Trust shop and café is situated directly between these two sides, along with toilet facilities, kayak hire and dog water stations.
Car park opening times
Whilst the beach is open all day, car park opening hours vary seasonally, typically as follows:
- Winter/Early Spring – 9am – 5pm
- Spring (From 1 April) – 8.30am – 6pm
- Summer (From 1 June) – 8.30 – 8pm
(Timings correct as of March 2021)
Parking costs from £4 for two hours in peak summer months, but does vary seasonally,
There is no charge for National Trust members – simply scan your membership card.
Directions – how to get to Knoll Beach car park
Postcode for your SatNav: BH19 3AH
If you’re coming from Swanage, leave town via Ulwell Road and follow the road until you reach the B3351 Swanage Road. Turn right – this will take you into Studland village and onto Ferry Road. The turning for Knoll Beach will be to your right immediately after passing Knoll House Hotel on your left.
The drive should take just under 15 minutes, although these roads can be quite busy in the summer and during school holidays.
The beach is also served by the No 50 Purbeck Breezer bus, which runs between Swanage and Bournemouth.
Note that all vehicular access from Bournemouth and Poole is via the Sandbanks chain ferry.
If you’re heading to Knoll Beach from Swanage, simply hop on the bus at Swanage bus station or any of the bus stops en route, such as along Shore Road or Ulwell Road. Alight at Knoll House Hotel, and catch the bus back from the other side.
Nearby car parks in Studland
- South Beach car park – Park here for South Beach, Studland village, The Bankes Arms pub and Old Harry Rocks walk
- Middle Beach car park – Park for a rugged beach walk, Fore/Adventure and Studland village BH19 3AX
- Shell Bay car park – You can park here for Shell Bay beach and bistro of the same name, the Sandbanks Ferry, heathland walks and Bramble Bush Bay BH19 3AU
- Parking for the Agglestone – Walk from Studland or for a shorter route, there is parking for a couple of cars at an entrance to Godlingston Heath on the Corfe Castle – Studland Road BH19 3AB