Whether you’re coming to Swanage for its watersports, coasteering and biking opportunities, or just want to keep up your normal exercise routine, Swanage and the surrounding landscape and coastline of the Isle of Purbeck are guaranteed to keep you active and out in the fresh air whatever the weather.
Watersports and outdoor adventure
There are as many ways to explore the Isle of Purbeck as there are beautiful locations. Various local companies allow you to discover land and sea from unique perspectives – from boat and kayak hire to rock-climbing and coasteering.
Swanage Bay and Studland Bay are home to excellent watersports and outdoor adventure facilities. You can book a diving session off Swanage Pier, join an organised coasteering group at Dancing Ledge, or hire a kayak at Swanage Beach or one of Studland’s beaches such as Knoll Beach or Middle Beach.
Take a boat trip from Swanage to explore the beautiful bay and coastline from a different perspective. If you have your own boat there are various options for storing and launching watercraft from Swanage.
If you’re local and would like to get out on the water more, why not try out sea rowing or sailing at the local clubs?
- H2O Adventures – Join a two-hour kayak tour around Swanage Bay or book onto a sea kayak and camping weekend to explore more of the Jurassic Coast ℹ️ h2oadventures.co.uk/product/swanage-bay-kayaking 📞 07735 582663
- Studland Watersports – Based at Knoll Beach, Studland Bay, Studland Watersports offers various water-based activities including sea kayaking, banana boat rides and paddle boarding ℹ️ n-gb.facebook.com/pages/category/Outdoor-Recreation/Studland-Watersports 📞 07980 559143
- Fore/Adventure – Based at Middle Beach Car Park and running kayak tours and outdoor adventures such as snorkelling and bushcraft in and around Studland Bay. Contact details: ℹ️ www.foreadventure.co.uk 📞 01929 761515
- Cumulus Outdoors – Outdoor adventure activities, school and residential trips, including coasteering at Dancing Ledge. Check their website or call Cumulus: ℹ️ www.cumulusoutdoors.com 📞 01929 422480
- Land & Wave – Individual and group coasteering, sea kayaking and more ℹ️ www.landandwave.co.uk 📞 01929 423031
- Lulworth Outdoors – Explore the picturesque Lulworth Cove by kayak ℹ️ lulworthoutdoors.com 📞 01929 400155
- Boat hire, Swanage – ℹ️ swanageboathire.wixsite.com 📞 07802 480139
- Dorset Adventure Park – ℹ️ www.dorsetadventurepark.com 📞 01929 505030
- Brenscombe Outdoor Centre – Brenscombe offers a range of group outdoor activities including abseiling, raft-building and a ropes course ℹ️ www.brenscombeoutdoor.co.uk 📞 01929 481222
- Divers Down – Book a dive session with Divers Down, based at Swanage Pier. Call to find out more: 📞 01929 423565 / 07977 142661ℹ️ www.diversdownswanage.co.uk/
- Swanage Sailing Club – This local members’ club is based at Buck Shore, Swanage and offers sailing tuition and an active social calendar. Contact: ℹ️ www.swanagesailingclub.org.uk 📞 01929 422987
- Swanage Sea Rowing Club – Open to both members and non-members, this charitable gig rowing club runs recreational and racing sessions. Find out more on the SSRC website: ℹ️ www.swanagesearowingclub.org.uk
We are spoilt for choice in and around Swanage with access to open countryside, stunning cliff walks and sandy bays just a stone’s throw away.
Visit our dedicated Walks & Hiking page to discover the best ways to explore these special Dorset beauty spots:
Cycle hire & bike trails
Cycle Experience – bike hire in Purbeck
Bikes can be hired from Cycle Experience at Norden train station – you can park here and cycle straight out into the nearby heathland, through the forest of the Rempstone Estate, or into Corfe Castle village, or hop on the Swanage Railway steam train to explore various places en route to and including Swanage.
Find out more and get in touch with Cycle Experience:
📞 01929 481606
Bike hire costs are based around a three hour+ session.
- Mountain bike £18.50
- E-bike £35
- Children’s £8 or £9 depending on age
- Tandem £30
Kids’ trailers and ‘tag-alongs’ are also available for hire.
Popular cycle routes
There are many great places to take your bike out in and around Swanage. Here are some of the more popular biking trails:
- Wareham Forest – There are various trails through woodland and heathland at the forest just outside Wareham, with the Sika Trail (way marked blue) being popular with families
- Purbeck Hills – Start in the village of Corfe Castle and go across the ridgeway to Swanage
- Hartland Moor & Middlebere Heath – You can cycle to Hartland Moor from Norden and pick up the Rempstone Ride route from there
- Rempstone Ride – This is a 12-mile circular walking and cycle ride that takes you through Rempstone Forest toward Studland
Guided mountain bike tours
You can also book onto a guided bike tour around Lulworth Cove with Lulworth Outdoors.
Suitable for cyclists age 11 and over, mountain bike hire is included.
- Children – £35 for half a day or £60 for the whole day
- Adults – £40 for a half day and £70 for a full day
Swanage Cycling Club
Swanage Cycling Club is a friendly club set up by a group of local cyclists. It organises road and off-road mountain-biking rides for all ages and abilities.
Group rides are covered by insurance via British Cycling.
Annual membership with Swanage CC is £10.
Check the club’s Facebook page for current regular rides and meeting places or for more details or get in touch by email:
- ℹ️ www.facebook.com/swanagecc/
- 📥 firstname.lastname@example.org
Bike repair and sales
If you need assistance with your own bike whilst visiting Swanage there are two handy options:
- Furmage Cycles – A mobile repair service based in Swanage 📞 07592 543373
- Cycleworks – Based at Wareham Station 📞 01929 556601 warehamcycleworks.com
There are three local riding centres in the locality, as well as some slightly further afield.
Most offer hacking and livery, and some also offer lessons and horse B&B facilities if you are bringing your horse on holiday with you.
- Lulworth Equestrian Centre – BHS-approved centre offering lessons, hacking, livery and competitions 📞 01929 400396 ℹ️ www.lulworthequestriancentre.com 📍 Coombe Keynes, Wareham, BH20 5QR
- Studland Trekking Centre – Hacking out across Studland Heath, bay, clifftops and forest 📞 01929 450273 ℹ️ www.studlandstables.com 📍 Ferry Rd, Studland, Swanage, BH19 3AQ
- RAC Saddle Club – BHS approved riding and training centre and British Eventing venue 📞 01929 403580 ℹ️ www.racsaddleclub.co.uk 📍Allenby Barracks, Bovington, Wareham BH20 6JA
Horse Riding in the wider Dorset area
A little further afield are more equestrian centres and facilities:
Kingston Maurward Equestrian is a teaching school and competition centre set on a 750 acre estate, which is also home to Kingston Maurward College. It runs regular horse shows, showjumping and special clinics.
- Kingston Maurward Equestrian – Educational courses and eventing, with excellent facilities, set in 750 acres of parkland 📞 01305 215063 ℹ️ www.kmc.ac.uk/equestrian/
- Moreton Equestrian Centre – Livery yard, arena a d cross-country course 📞 01305 215063 ℹ️ moretondorset.co.uk
Sports & leisure centres
The main sports centre serving the Isle of Purbeck is the Purbeck Sports Centre, although there are other, smaller nearby options.
Purbeck Sports Centre
The Purbeck Sports Centre in Wareham has a fully-equipped gym, swimming pool and bar and restaurant.
The centre runs regular classes for both adults and children.
Sports centre opening hours
- Monday – Thursday: 7am – 10pm
- Friday: 7am – 9pm
- Saturday: 7.30am – 8pm
- Sunday: 7.30am – 9pm
Gym opening hours
- Monday – Thursday: 6.45am – 9.15pm
- Friday: 6.45am – 9.15pm
- Saturday: 9am – 5.30pm
- Sunday: 9am – 5.30pm
Gym membership information
Choose either the Diamond card or the Gold card for what best suits your needs:
The Diamond card offers discounts on the use of the swimming pool as well as exercise classes and the gym.
- £21 a year for adults
- £10.40 a year for juniors
Gold card membership gives you unlimited access to the swimming pool, classes and gym, as well as half price and other offers on selected exercise courses.
Annual fees vary seasonally and depending on your personal requirements:
- £37 a month or £407 for a full year (the latter option gives you one month free)
- £27 a month for off-peak hours (9am – 3.30pm)
- £27 a month for students
- £80 a month for a family membership. This includes up to two adults’ full membership and two juniors for swimming. (Additional juniors are an extra £6/month)
📞 01929 500000
Joe’s Gym, Swanage
Swanage-based Joe’s Gym is a local gym and personal training service offering sessions that can be flexible and tailored to your needs, including coming to your home.
They also run both indoor and outdoor fitness sessions throughout the year.
Contact details for Joe’s Gym
Run by both Sarah and Joe Shepherd, you can give either one a buzz for a friendly chat to get your fitness regime kick-started.
- Call Joe on: 07736 224 978
- Sarah can be reached on: 07966 215 228
Alternatively check out their website or drop them an email: email@example.com
Swanage Bay View Holiday Park
Swanage Bay View‘s gym and swimming pool is open to the public for swimming sessions and lessons.
All classes are £5, or £40 for ten classes.
The gym is available at a daily (£7) or weekly (£15) rate.
Monthly membership is as follow:
- Gym membership – £25 a month
- Off-peak gym membership – £20 a month
- Combined gym membership and classes – £35 a month
📞 01929 422130
Ulwell Holiday Park
The swimming pool at Ulwell Holiday Park in Swanage is open to the public as well as staying guests.
Ulwell holds regular swimming lessons during school times and runs adult-only swim sessions are held on Thursdays and Sundays from 8am – 9am.
It also has a small waterslide and a separate splash pool for toddlers.
- Adults – £4.00
- Children – £3.00
- Concessions – £3.00
- Children under four are free
Discounted books of ten tickets are also available:
- Adults – £36.00
- Concessions – £27.00
Children’s swimming lessons are held during school term time on Monday – Thursday afternoons. The pool is closed to the public during these times.
📞 01929 422823
Burlington Health Spa & Fitness Club
Located in the Grand Hotel in Swanage, the Burlington Health Club has a small indoor pool, jacuzzi and sauna, as well as a gym. Massage and osteopathy sessions are also available to book.
Membership ranges from day to annual, with weekly, quarterly and half-yearly memberships available.
📞 01929 423353
Springfield Leisure Club & Spa
The leisure facilities at the Springfield Country Hotel, based just outside Wareham, include an indoor and outdoor swimming pool, gym and toning studios and squash courts.
The fitness studio runs regular classes such as yoga and Bike & Ride.
Health and beauty treatments are available at the spa, including massage, manicure/pedicure, facials and waxing.
📞 01929 552177
Local sports clubs
There are a range of active sports clubs within Swanage, including a cricket, football and bowls club, as well as the Swanage & Wareham Rugby Club, which has its HQ in Wareham.
Swanage Cricket Club
Swanage CC has an active local membership with both adult and youth players and has been a club since the 1920s.
Youth training is on a Wednesday or Thursday evening, and there is a busy matches calendar, which you can find on Swanage CC’s website.
📍 For your SatNav: BH19 1LG
The cricket ground and pavilion is tucked away at the northern end of town. The above postcode will take you toward Durlston Farm. Turn left just before this, off Ulwell Road. Go through the gate and continue around to your right. Parking is available on site.
Swanage Cricket Club contact details:
- ℹ️ swanagecricketclub.co.uk
- 📞 01929 421216
- To join: 📥 firstname.lastname@example.org
Swanage Football Club
Swanage Town & Herston FC is an active, local club which holds regular training sessions in Day’s Park (Northbrook Rd, BH19 1NN), which has been going strong in the town since 1898.
Swanage FC is part of the Dorset Premier League and is a full FA Charter Standard Status Club.
There are a range of teams, including Minis, Juniors, all girls/ladies and adults.
- Saturdays – two senior sides
- Sundays – Nine youth teams catering for under-eights and under 17s
Check the club’s forthcoming fixtures and latests photos on its website or Facebook page, or give them a call to get involved:
Swanage & Wareham Rugby Club
Swanage & Wareham RFC is based in Wareham and offers both rugby and football to rugby to ‘mini’ players aged under six and up to senior and vets’ teams.
Contact details and location for the rugby club:
- ℹ️ www.pitchero.com/clubs/swanagewareham/
- 📍 Bestwall Road, Wareham BH20 4HY
- 📞 01929 552224
Swanage Croquet Club
Swanage Croquet Club is based at Swanage Primary School at Mount Scar.
The season runs between April and October on Tuesdays & Wednesdays 10.30am – 5pm.
This friendly club welcomes both residents and visitors. If you’re coming to Swanage on holiday and wish to play, simply call in advance: 01929 421216
To join as a member, head to the Swanage Croquet Club website and fill in an application form: ℹ️ www.swanagecroquetclub.com
Swanage Bowling Club
Based in Beach Gardens, Swanage lawn bowls club is well-kept and has a number of facilities including a pavilion, refreshment kiosk and adjacent tennis court and pitch and pitch.
Set a short distance back from and above the beach, Beach Gardens is ideally located for a game of bowls with beautiful nearby views.
There are around 90 members who take part in regular matches and who often frequent the Friday evening Club Night – meet at 5.30pm for a friendly game followed by a drink at the clubhouse.
Regular sessions run every Tuesday and Friday morning at 10.30am. Arrive fifteen minutes prior to the start of the match and teams will be selected on the day.
Locals and visitors have been enjoying lawn bowls here since 1928. If you’re visiting and would like to play you can hire one of two of the six rinks. You can hire bowls and equipment or bring your own.
For more information check the club’s website or contact the secretary:
- ℹ️ www.swanagebowlingclub.org.uk
- 📞 01929 421162
Pitch and putt
- Swanage Golf Games – Not just pitch and putt, but footgolf and frisbee golf, are on offer at Kirkwood Park’s Swanage Gold Games
- Beach Gardens – Toward the northern end of Swanage town is a pitch and putt course, as well as a basketball court, tennis courts and bowls green
- Jurassic Golf – For a round of Jurassic Coast-inspired crazy golf, head to Santa Fe Fun Park, which overlooks the beach in Swanage
There are two golf clubs in Purbeck – the Isle of Purbeck Golf Club and Wareham Golf Club – both of which welcome both members and non-members.
Both clubs also have a pro shop, offer tuition and have a well-stocked ’19th hole’.
The Isle of Purbeck Golf Club
Set in a stunning location between Corfe Castle and Studland, and just a ten-minute drive from Swanage, The Isle of Purbeck boasts outstanding views across the Purbeck countryside, Poole Harbour, Brownsea Island and across to Bournemouth.
The Club has been welcoming players since 1892 and was famously once owned by children’s author Enid Blyton.
Events are held at the club house throughout the year, including special Valentine, Halloween and Christmas menus, as well as festive dinner and disco evenings.
Contact details for the Isle of Purbeck GC
Get in touch with the club by phone or email to book a round of golf, a meal at the restaurant or enquire about golf lessons and membership.
- ℹ️ www.purbeckgolf.co.uk
- 📞 01929 450361
- 📥 email@example.com
- 📍 Corfe Road, Studland, Swanage BH19 3AB
Wareham Golf Club
The club house is available for private hire for celebrating occasions such as christenings, weddings and birthdays, with a range of catering options available, including two and three-course meals and buffet selections.
Situated just outside the Saxon walled market town of Wareham, the golf club is close to many amenities including shops, cafés, pubs restaurants and public transport links.
Contact details for Wareham Golf Club
Call to enquire about green fees and membership or to speak to the bar manager about hiring a function room.
- ℹ️ www.warehamgolfclub.com
- 📞 01929 554147
- 📥 firstname.lastname@example.org
- 📍 Sandford Road, Wareham, BH20 4DH
Other nearby golf courses (wider Dorset)
- Parkstone – ℹ️ www.parkstonegolfclub.com 📞 01202 707138
- Bulbury Woods – ℹ️ www.bulbury-woods.co.uk 📞 01929 459574
- Broadstone – ℹ️ www.broadstonegolfclub.com📞 01202 692595
- Sturminster Marshall – ℹ️ www.sturminstermarshallgc.co.uk 📞 01258 858444
- Dorset Golf & Country Club – ℹ️ www.dorsetgolfresort.com 📞 01929 472244
- Came Down – ℹ️ www.camedowngolfclub.co.uk 📞 01305 813494
- Wolfedale – ℹ️ www.wolfedalegolf-dorset.co.uk 📞 01305 260186
- Weymouth – ℹ️ www.weymouthgolfclub.co.uk 📞 01305 750831
- Wessex – ℹ️ www.facebook.com/wessexgolf/ 📞 01305 784737