Keep up to date with all the latest news and weather, along with local stories and any events happening in and around Swanage via the local news sites and publications covering Swanage and Purbeck.
Tune in to the local community radio station and get on-the-go live updates via smartphone apps and Facebook notifications.
Whether you live here or are visiting for the first time, these are the go-to organizations for news in Swanage:
Read all about it…
- Swanage.News – The only independent news site dedicated to Swanage, with plenty of stories from the ground of the people living, working and holidaying here. Check travel and weather news and what events are happening before you visit, or plan your stay around one of the many arts, music and food festivals that make Swanage buzz throughout the year. Download the Swanage.News app or follow on Facebook: www.facebook.com/SwanageNews/
- Bournemouth Echo – Covering East Dorset, the Echo is a daily newspaper and website bringing you the latest stories across the county. Also check its sister site, which covers West Dorset, The Dorset Echo
- Purbeck Gazette – Grab your monthly edition of all things Purbeck, with features on Swanage and the surrounding area, as well as news items, a handy local directory and events coverage. Read the latest copy online or subscribe to have it delivered to your door: www.purbeckgazette.co.uk
- Swanage & Wareham Voice – The latest news and sport from Swanage, Wareham & Wool: www.swanageandwarehamvoice.co.uk
- Dorset Police – Keep an eye on Dorset Police’s news page or check Purbeck Police’s Facebook page for the latest news stories and information about community engagement events
- Dorset Council – Check out local government news, issues and initiatives relevant to the area via Dorset Council’s news page: news.dorsetcouncil.gov.uk. The Council also has an active Twitter presence, so is a useful one to follow if you live in Swanage
- Dorset Life – An independent magazine for the county with interesting features and photography on the places and people of Dorset, often with a focus on nature and history www.dorsetlife.co.uk
- Dorset Living Magazine – A glossy monthly covering wider Dorset, with featured country homes and interiors and a focus on upmarket lifestyle, dining and retail
Listen live, online or via catch-up
- Purbeck Coast FM – Based right here in Swanage, Purbeck Coast FM is a community radio station keeping you up-to-date with local weather, events and news across Swanage, with a mix of great tunes thrown in. The station broadcasts on 101.2 FM or you can listen live here: purbeckcoast.com/listen/
- BBC Radio Solent – Listen live when you’re in the area for regular traffic and travel updates and interesting local stories. Radio Solent also covers Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, so it’s useful to tune in on your way down from London to catch news and travel updates as they happen. Tune in on DAB or by turning to 96.1 FM. You can also listen live online or catch up via BBC Sounds: www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live:bbc_radio_solent
- BBC Dorset – The local branch of the BBC for the whole of the county. Find Dorset’s news and Sport on the BBC website: www.bbc.co.uk/news/england/dorset
- Swanage TV – A truly local community Facebook Live streaming service exploring news and issues in the Purbeck area, with lighthearted chat and serious stories, too. Check out where the team will be out and about next, or watch past episodes: www.facebook.com/SwanageTV/
- BBC South Today – Swanage and Purbeck news stories are often covered on BBC South Today, which follows the main News programme. Others regions include West Sussex, areas of Berkshire, Surrey and Wiltshire, and Hampshire & the Isle of Wight
- ITV Meridian – Covering the south and south east of England, Meridian features the larger stories happening in the area
Local community publications
You’ll also find various independent magazines and publications for the many villages, towns and rural communities in Purbeck either online or popped through your door.
If you’re here on holiday look out for the latest Corfe Valley News or The Dubber for upcoming events during your stay, as well as handy services you might need.
These also tend to be invaluable sources of information for residents, with useful local phone numbers and contacts, as well as containing information on the range of regular classes and clubs, fundraisers and coffee mornings in your area.
- Corfe Valley News: The CVN covers the very local issues and events in Corfe, Church Knowle, Kingston, the Furzebrook area, Kimmeridge and Steeple www.corfevalleynews.co.uk
- The Dubber: Covering the parishes of the Purbeck Hills, The Dubber is a monthly issue concerning all things Langton Matravers, Kingston, Worth Matravers and St Aldhelm’s www.thedubber.co.uk