A variety of councils exist in the Swanage and Purbeck area, each with their own services, responsibilities and areas covered.
Swanage town Council acts as the parish council for Swanage and surrounding areas, and works closely with the higher tier of local government, Dorset Council, to ensure residents and visitors can access the advice, services and information they need.
Swanage town Council mission statement:
‘To maintain and enhance Swanage for the well-being and prosperity of present and future generations.’
Dorset Council is the unitary local authority, covering much of the county. BCP Council covers the conurbation and districts of Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole.
Find out where to find the service you need here – you may need to visit the Dorset Council website, Swanage town Council, Swanage Information Centre, or one of the parish councils within the Purbeck area:
Swanage Town Council
Swanage Town Council serves as the parish council for Swanage town and its surrounds, which include Ulwell, Herston and Durlston.
The council has twelve elected councillors who act as decision-makers for the town.
The council can help with enquiries relating to a range of aspects of life in the town, such as the boat park, beach and sporting facilities.
It also maintains public parks, gardens, play areas and allotments.
Other areas of town Swanage Town Council is responsible for include:
- Public toilets
- Off road car parks
- The Town Hall
- Swanage Information Centre
Opening hours and contact details
The town hall reception is open every weekday:
- Spring/summer (1 April – 30 September) – 10am – 4pm
- Autumn/winter (1 October – 31 March) – 10am – 3pm
Note that the reception is closed for lunch every day between 1pm – 2pm.
Find out more information about Swanage Town Council and its services on the council’s website, or by giving them a call:
📞 01929 423636
📍 Swanage Town Council is situated in the Town Hall on High Street.
Swanage Information Centre
The Swanage Information Centre also has a wealth of information for both visitors and residents.
It is situated on Shore Road, opposite the beach, and is open every day with the following opening hours:
- Monday to Friday 10am – 4.30pm
- Saturday & Sunday 9am – 4.30pm
📞 01929 766018
All enquiries relating to education, council tax, roads, planning, environmental health and libraries should be directed to Dorset Council.
Dorset Council’s contact details:
- ℹ️ www.dorsetcouncil.gov.uk/contact/contacts.aspx
- 📞 01305 251010
- 📥 email@example.com
Parish & town councils
There are also a number of parish and town councils serving the different areas across Purbeck.
Arne Parish Council
Arne Parish Council covers Arne, Ridge, Stoborough and Worgret.
Residents are welcome to attend meetings.
- Meeting time: 7pm, third Thursday of the month
- Meeting venue: Stoborough village hall
📞 01929 472327
Corfe Castle Parish Council
Meetings are open to residents of Corfe Castle for the first half an hour of each meeting.
- Meeting time: 7pm, second Monday of the month
- Meeting venue: Corfe Castle town hall
📞 01929 426125
East Holme Parish Meeting
Contact Mr. Nat Bond for matters relating to the area of East Holme.
📞 07585 302989
East Lulworth Parish Council
Members of the public are welcome to attend the start of each meeting for East Lulworth.
- Meeting time: 7pm, third Tuesday of the month
- Meeting venue: Terrace Room, Lulworth Castle
📞 07909 924692
Kimmeridge Parish Meeting
Contact Mr A Byrde for matters relating to Kimmeridge.
📞 01929 480064
Langton Matravers Parish Council
Members of the public are welcome to attend meetings, with a specific slot for public questions relating to Langton.
- Meeting time: 7pm, second Thursday of the month
- Meeting venue: Langton Matravers village hall
📞 01929 425100
Studland Parish Council
Covering the areas of Studland and Brownsea Island.
Residents are welcome to attend, with a public participation time allowed at the beginning of the meeting
- Meeting time: 7.30pm, third Monday of the month
- Meeting venue: Studland village hall
📞 07824 829491
Wareham St Martin Parish Council
Resident are encouraged to attend the public participation.
- Meeting time: every second Monday of the month at 7pm
- Meeting venue: Sandford Community Hall, Keysworth Drive
📞 01202 624261
Wareham Town Council
- Meeting time: 7pm, certain Tuesdays in the month (check website for forthcoming)
- Meeting venue: Council chamber, Wareham Town Hall
📞 01929 553006
West Lulworth Parish Council
Members of the public are welcome to attend meetings relating to West Lulworth, and are invited to express their views to the council before the start of the meeting.
- Meeting time: 7.30 pm, first Monday of the month
- Meeting venue: West Lulworth village hall
📞 01305 853965
Worth Matravers Parish Council
- Meeting time: 7.30pm, first Tuesday of the month
- Venue alternates between Worth Matravers’ and Harman’s Cross’ village halls