A warm welcome awaits at one of the many family-run B&Bs in Swanage.
Staying at a bed and breakfast in Swanage is one of the best ways to explore the seaside town and its surrounding area – start your day off with a hearty breakfast at your lodgings and look forward to a local pub lunch or beachside supper to fuel your day of discovery of the beautiful Isle of Purbeck before returning to your cosy retreat to relax at the end of a day of exploring.
Expect a warm welcome, great locally-produced food and a unique range of accommodation – stay in the centre of town, close to the hubbub of its shops, restaurants and nightlife; choose a sea-view room a stone’s throw from the beach; or opt for one of the many rural escapes just outside Swanage for great access to countryside walks and far-reaching farmland views.
Immerse yourself in local life in Swanage by getting involved in the wide range of family-friendly events in the area, trying fresh Dorset provide and visiting the many attractions lovely by both visitors and residents.
B&Bs in and around Swanage cater for every kind of traveller: from families wanting a typical English holiday at the seaside to quiet, romantic couples’ getaways throughout the year. Many establishments are dog-friendly, as are most of the beaches in this part of Dorset (seasonal restrictions may apply to certain beaches).
Whether you’re visiting from abroad or looking for your next staycation on the South Coast, it’s worth noting that bed and breakfast accommodation in this part of the UK is extremely popular around peak times such as school holidays, annual festivals (such as the Swanage Blues Festival, Swanage Carnival and Purbeck Art Weeks), so booking in advance is a good idea.
Find & book a Swanage B&B
Discover your next B&B stay in Swanage, along with handy visitor reviews, via any of the national search sites, such as booking.com.
Airbnb is also a great way of finding both bed & breakfast-style accommodation and self-catering options in Swanage. You’ll find everything from private rooms within residents’ welcoming homes to unique and memorable stays, such as the Alpine-inspired Lapland Lodge in nearby Harman’s Cross.
And of course you can book direct via individual B&B’s websites.
Check out some of these well-established and highly-rated Swanage guesthouses:
- Arbour House – A lovely Edwardian house a short stroll from Swanage Beach www.arbourhouseswanage.co.uk
- Bella Vista – Enjoy Swanage Bay views from this Victorian villa, which also offers wellbeing retreats bellavista-swanage.co.uk
- The Castleton – An immaculately-presented, family-run guest house a stone’s throw from the beach thecastleton.co.uk
- Caythorpe House – A tastefully-decorated 4* B&B ideally situated for town and beach alike. The seven-room house has a guest lounge and breakfast room, with room options to suit a variety of travellers caythorpehouse.co.uk
- Glenlee Guest House – Glenlee is ideally located opposite Beach Gardens’ outdoor activities, which include tennis, bowls and pitch & putt. It’s close to the beach and also offers evening meals (half-board stays) www.glenleeswanage.co.uk
- Gretenham – In the heart of town, Edwardian gem Gretneham is perfect for Swanage’s restaurants, pubs and shops www.gretenhambandb.co.uk
- The Limes – Family-run and oriented The Limes is a short stroll from Swanage Pier, the beach and all of the town’s amenities and can also be hired exclusively for a large group or special occasion www.limeshotel.net
- Railway Cottage – This is a room-only (breakfast not included) guest house on the main road into the town centre, handy for a simple stay for a local event. There’s a small amount of parking on the property, but there’s a large public car park opposite, as well as a children’s playground and pitch & putt nearby. www.railwaycottagehotel.co.uk
- Robertsbook – This B&B is ideally appointed for the ease of exploring Swanage – opposite the town’s Co-Op and right by Swanage Railway, with various shops, playgrounds and the beach a short walk away www.robertsbrookguesthouse.co.uk
- Rivendell – Located on a main route into Swanage and opposite the pretty St Mary’s Church, Rivendell benefits from a cosy guest lounge with an open fire and Sky TV www.rivendell-guesthouse.co.uk
- The Sandhaven – Close to Swanage’s sandy beach, The Sandhaven is a pet-free guest house with a lounge stocked with books and puzzles www.thesandhaven.co.uk
- Swanage Haven Boutique Guest House – The immaculate five-star Swanage Haven B&B is located in a quiet part of town a short walk from the beach. There’s a comfortable guest lounge with games, an honesty bar and excellent breakfast www.swanagehaven.com
B&B accommodation above a pub
There’s also a selection of pubs and inns in Purbeck where you can lay your head for the night – handy if you’re visiting one of the annual beer or music festivals, as you won’t have far to go to your bed.
In Swanage itself The White Horse, The Red Lion and The White Swan offer comfortable accommodation at reasonable prices.
Further afield you’ll find cosy rooms above The Scott Arms in the picturesque village of Kingston www.thescottarms.com/sleep/, riverside rooms at The Quay Inn in Wareham, and two Bankes Arms pubs offering accommodation. These establishments are unrelated to each other, but both offer bed and breakfast rooms in great Purbeck village settings – one is in Corfe Castle and one’s in Studland.
B&Bs just outside Swanage
If everything’s booked up or you fancy trying somewhere new for your next Swanage holiday, there’s a wide range of further bed and breakfast options nearby – stay in one of the neighbouring villages, each with their own, unique charm, such as Langton and Worth Matravers, Harman’s Cross, Corfe Castle, Kingston, or Studland, or one of the more rural locations dotted throughout the Purbeck countryside.
Here’s a snapshot of some of the most popular B&Bs in Purbeck outside of Swanage:
- The Bear – This charming and exquisitely-renovated 18th Century coaching inn in Wareham is also popular with locals and visitors for brunch, main meals and afternoon tea www.thebearwareham.co.uk
- Lapland Lodge – For a quirky, rural break away try Lapland Lodge in the village of Harman’s Cross, situated between Corfe Castle and Swanage purbeckbedandbreakfast.net/
- Littlecroft – The delightful and private Littlecroft B&B is close to the beaches of Studland Bay and serves a locally-produced, organic breakfast www.littlecroftbandb.com
- Kingston Country Courtyard – The opulent Kingston Country Courtyard is a multi-functional space with panoramic views of the Purbeck countryside and ridgeway. Popular with wedding bookings, accommodation options here are flexible, with rooms ranging from being self-catered to fully-serviced kingstoncountrycourtyard.com/rooms/
More accommodation options in Purbeck
You might also be interested in the range of hotels in Swanage for a fully-inclusive holiday, and to take advantage of on-site facilities such as a swimming pool or gym, or a stay in one of the many campsites & caravan sites in the area for your next Purbeck adventure.
There’s also a fantastic choice of holiday cottages available to let both in Swanage itself and in nearby villages. Or to explore the Isle of Purbeck and the wider area under your own steam you can even hire a camper van or motorhome to discover Dorset at your leisure.